binary packages statment

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Jan 27 20:56:39 UTC 2003

I think it was on core-devel that this discussion originally happened, but
this list seems more appropriate.

I just saw the "don't hold us accountable for the binary packages" statement
on kde.org, i.e.:

http://download.kde.org/binarydownload.html?url=/stable/3.1/SuSE/ix86/8.0/

===
Please note that the KDE Project makes these packages available from the KDE
web site as a convenience to KDE users. The KDE Project is not responsible
for these packages as they are provided by third parties - typically, but not
always, the distributor of the relevant distribution - using tools,
compilers, library versions and quality assurance procedures over which the
KDE project has no control. If you cannot find a binary package for your OS,
or you are displeased with the quality of binary packages available for your
system, please read the KDE Binary Package Policy and/or contact your binary
package / OS vendor.
===

Could that be made more concise -- by tomorrow?  Or at least could we get some
<b> tags in there for the most relevant parts?  These guys are in a frenzy to
get to these packages at this point, I really doubt they're going to read all
of the above.

Maybe:

"Please note the the KDE Project does not produce these packages (or anything
but source packages), and is not responsible for their content." <link to
packaging policy>

I'd be nice if people are actually reading the statement rather than
ceremoniously skipping over it EULA-style.

Cheers,

-Scott (who goes back to ansering adopt-a-geek email)

--
I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty,
you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to