Announcement: www.kde.org/testing

Andy Goossens andygoossens at pandora.be
Fri Jan 3 01:18:55 UTC 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 20:40, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> under www.kde.org/testing now the latest proposal from root66 is online.
> What should I say much about it, go and take a look.
>
> http://www.kde.org/testing

Few remarks: (mostly details ;-)

* I guess you already know that the html source doesn't validate ;-)

* Like Dre said, do not require JavaScript. On a related note, *never* use
'javascript:' or '#' links. (Unless '#' == top of the page, which is
allowed).

* For people who like to visit the site using telnet and read the source...
;-)
e.g. <div id="r5c2e7_ann"> isn't clear. What's that? Row 5, column 2,
E-blahblah, Ann who???
Simply use id="announcements" so every potential web designer understands it.
Makes life easier for us :-)

* When you can, try to avoid the B and the BR elements. (Sometimes called Bed
and BReakfast ;-) They are used for presentational purposes, which is what
xhtml & css are trying to avoid. See
http://tantek.com/log/2002/10.html#L20021022t1432
(Is the same reason why TABLE should be avoided too...)

* Use the CITE element for citations
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/text.html#edef-CITE

* Also the ACRONYM element would useful
e.g. explaining what WYSIWYG, CVS, IRC, PIM are...

* There is a H1 element missing.
<cite>Headings should reflect the logical structure of the document; they
should not be used simply to add emphasis, or to change the font size.</cite>
Meaning: You should use <h1> tag when your page contains <h2> and <h3> tags.
When those headers are used in the correct way, you should see a correct
"outline" of your page. See:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fkde.org%2Ftesting%2F&outline=1#outline

* Remark about the scripts:
Why use
$rdf_pieces = $news->openRDF("http://www.kde.org/dot/rdfplus");
in www/testing/media/includes/content.php ?
Since every mirror contains /dot/rdfplus wouldn't it be better to use that
file directly instead of making a connection? Would be much quicker... and
makes my local (testing) kde.org mirror work again. (Doesn't work behind my
ISP's proxy :-p )

Well... that's about it, i guess :-)
I can honestly say this proposal looks *much* better than our current site.

--
// Andy Goossens

// Quote of the day:
Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix.  Everyone knows power
tools aren't soluble in alcohol...
		-- Crazy Nigel