solution for .php braking millions of links to our pages?

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 5 13:00:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:47, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday February 05, 2003 04:39, Rainer Endres wrote:
> > Is there any solution for the problem of the .php ending breaking all
> > the links to our pages out there?
>
> Yes.  Rename them to html, and configure the server to handle html files
> with the php parser.
>
> Hmm... Isn't www.kde.org already configured that way?

Yes and personally that irks me no end, we shouldn't perpetuate a bad practice
just as it is the easiest way to solve the problem.

Why not just a simple php wrapper script for 404 errors (can't remember off
the top of my head how to do this but I have a site at work that does it) and
then just have that script to take the referring page and redirect it by
chomping the .html and and changing it to a .php?

Regards,
Jason