open standards

Christophe Devriese oelewapperke at ulyssis.org
Thu Aug 21 15:35:45 UTC 2003

On wednesday, 27th of August there is a demonstration against software patents
in Brussels, would it be possible for you to dedicate a small section on the
kde.org frontpage to that effect ?

We would like you to include this link :
http://swpat.ffii.org/group/demo/index.en.html

Maybe accompanied by this text :

<quote>
The FFII is organizing an online demonstration against software patents. We
want you to replace the title page of your project's site with a protest page
against software patents (for examples see below) on August 27th. If you
don't want to block access to your site you can for example put a small link
on the protest page as seen in one of the examples.

The idea is that with software patents many sites running on/serving possibly
patent infringing software (read: most free software) have to go offline
sooner or later. So why not demonstrate this effect before it's too late?
</quote>

A link to http://swpat.ffii.org could also be useful, as it explains a number
of the issues we have with software patents. This pertains to every open
source project, it would be very nice if you were to do this.

(sorry for my English, I know it is somewhat lacking)

Christophe Devriese
( I am a kde contributor, I go by the nick of "oelewapperke" )