ok, so *WHERE* do I find them?

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Tue Apr 22 18:02:44 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:56:06PM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> screen is cute and all for toy stuff.  I use it for IRC and reading
> mail all the time.  I find the interference with Emacs though a little
> too annoying.  Perhaps I can change it to make it not interfere, but
> that would involve those stupid configuration files again...  Not to
> mention, screen cut and paste is much more annoying.  And of course,
> with screen you have more to keep track of and it's definitely slower
> to switch between sessions with the default shortcuts: With Konsole
> you have the advantage of knowing the spatial *position* of the
> sessions you're interested in.

I don't use Emacs, so I can't comment on that. But ^Aw to list screens, ^AA
to rename and ^A0 etcetera to switch to screen 0, 1 and so on are very
beneficial. Especially because you can start screen with shells preloaded,
even on boot time, so when you've rebooted all you do is screen -r and
you've got your mail prog on screen 0, your log tail on screen 1.. always on
the same spot. You don't even need to know the spatial difference, I always
access directly.

Maybe Konsole is documented better, but I don't think its sessions really
offer many benefits compared to screen. The only real future I use is to
reset to a specific size (80x25) after I have altered it.

> Oh and detaching and reattaching tabs from Konsole certainly comes in
> useful when you want to monitor two windows at once...  That being
> said, Konsole could use some usability improvements.

True, that's why I usually autostart a screen session on the server, but use
Konsole with different windows on the desktop.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap at capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."