'Design a New Logo for KDE.org' Contest Entry

Ralf Doewich ralf.doewich at industrialflair.com
Mon Apr 7 02:47:45 UTC 2003

Hi,

here are the links to the artwork for my 'Design a New Logo for KDE.org'
contest entry:

'K' crystal logo,   PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_k_large.png

'KDE' crystal logo, PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_kde_large.png

'K' line artwork,   PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_k_bw.png

'KDE' line artwork, PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_kde_bw.png

'K' logo artwork,   PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_k.png

'KDE' logo artwork, PNG format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_kde.png

'KDE' website title
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_title.png

'KED' website icons
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_icons.png

'K' & 'KDE' logos,  PSD format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_all.psd

'K' design file,
'KDE' design file,  ZIP format
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/kde_lc_ai.zip

Free Art License
http://www.industrialflair.com/files/kde/license.txt

Coming up with a new design, or a variation on an existing logo is much
harder than creating one completely from scratch. With my version, I was
aiming for a very clean, uncluttered design.

The proposed artwork went through a number of permutations, where I
intentionally kept the gear design almost resembling a sun, which (at least
in my mind) always stood for energy, the source of new life and renewal.
Positioning the gear and 'K' elements proved to be tricky since I wanted a
compact yet easily recognizable logo, even when compressing it down to the
size of an icon. Eventually I ended up with something that could even be
'read' as OK, which I didn't mind either. ;)

The design also tries to express some of the character of KDE. I liked the
idea of the gear, being a synonymous with something very technical, complex
and intricate, in which many parts work together to form a whole. At the
same time I somehow wanted to convey that KDE is still evolving, being
worked on in a large collaborative effort.

Ralf.
ralf.doewich at industrialflair.com