No, not just yet! ;)

Jason Bainbridge JaseOne at myrealbox.com
Wed Oct 23 03:58:08 UTC 2002

I am planning to start semi-formally gathering requirements for the new design and look at it as a real life project using the proper methodologies as I think this has been one of the major problems with the way things have been developing.

Once we have the requirements then I think we can make more informed decisions on the final designs. I will be doing my best to trawl through past mailing list posts and recording anything that is usable as a requirement, but not any of the "I like this one better" comments unless there is a reason given that can be used as a requirement.

I think this step backwards is going to end up being a huge step forward in the long run, we shouldn't be rushing into anything as when you rush you make mistakes. :-) There was a goal originally of launching the new design with the release of 3.1, but I think we should forget that goal as it isn't realistic if we want to do this properly.

So if anyone has any requirements or ideas for the new design they haven't put forward yet please do so, no matter how out there they are or how radically different they may be.

Eric's analysis is a perfect example of the kind of stuff we need so it is a good starting point to expand upon as suggested by Irwin.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions related to this in anyway please let me know. :)

Regards,
Jason