kde.org new design CSS

Mat Colton mat.colton at web-xs.de
Mon Oct 21 10:24:23 UTC 2002

Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 07:38 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> On Sunday October 20, 2002 09:06, Mat Colton wrote:
> > Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 01:11 Neil wrote:
> > > Well, I see that it does work, but unfortunately now this loses the
> > > user the ability to control which stylesheet he uses.
> >
> > True, but why would the user want to change the stylesheet? Alternate
> > stylesheets are quite nice, but they have to useful. So why would a user
> > want to force print or aural CSS? The way I did it the CSS automatically
> > fits the output device. Since you (Neil) wisely didn't set a fixed font
> > size there should be no reason for a user to switch to an alternate CSS.
> > Feel free to include alternate CSS for different styles/themes though.
>
> OK, fine.  I can live with that.  It may make for easier maintenace.

Not only that, it reduces the amount of filesystem requests and thus the page
is loaded faster, though you probably won't notice the difference, only a
robot would. :P

> > element and actually selecting it. I know a lot of layouts use left
> > navigation, but this comes from print layout and is not the optimum for
> > screen layout.
>
> You're right.  And just to remind those who don't know, we solve the print
> problem by setting display: none for the sidebar in the print medium.

As well as for #top and #footer.

> I'm convinced.  There's one problem, though:  The text at the top overlaps
> with the image at smaller sizes, and it doesn't contrast much with the
> logo image.  Maybe change that text to black?

Good point, haven't really found a good solution for this... Turning the links
to black would make them more visible while overlapping, but would break
consisticy.

> > Set the font-weight to normal for links. We already made sure the user
> > sees links due to the color, so IMHO it's a markup overhead. Besides
> > that h1-6 have the same color and are bold, so we don't want to confuse
> > the user.
>
> But we want links in the sidebar <p>s to be bold, because the plain <p>s
> are bold in there, too.

Ok, I set it back to bold for the navigation:
http://web-xs.de/~dev/tmp/kde/
Further notes and quotes later on this evening (GMT +1)
--
Bye,
Mat