maintainer of www.kde.org?

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Mon Oct 21 04:48:59 UTC 2002

Mat Colton wrote:

> Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 04:09 schrieb Kurt Granroth:
> > On Sunday 20 October 2002 12:23 pm, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > > As far as I know Kurt Granroth is essentially the author/maintainer of
> > > the current www.kde.org site.  I'm not sure where he is in all of
> > > this, so I dropped him a note.
> >
> > I have followed this topic in the sense of reading every 30 or 40th
> > message. I do have a few thoughts on the topic, though.
> >
> > There seems to be three main schools of thought on navigation: nav bar on
> > right, on left, and on both left and right.  Of the three, only the "nav
> > bar on the right" is a bad idea.
>
> > There is no precedence for having
> > navigation links on the right side of a web page (and ample precedence for
> > the opposite).  I fear that putting a bar on the right would be an attempt
> > to be different just for the sake of being different.  That is the the
> > absolute worst reason to do anything from a usability pov.
>
> Sorry, but just because you see few sites with does not mean it is not good.
> Keeping the navigation on the right hand side has a lot of ups and only one
> down: it's not used too often.

In the KDE world both apps.kde.com and dot.kde.org use navigation bars on the
right, though the dot also has a few on the left.

If I think of other sites, these also have navigation bars on the right:

  /.
  freshmeat
  linuxtoday
  yahoo (well it's link all over but the main thing that is a navigation
bar-type areas has always been to the right)
etc. etc.

In my view, the way you should decide on this is based on precedence.  People
read from left to right and top to bottom (well, in the relevant language) and
so what you want to emphasize the most should go on the top left.  On appsy that
(except for the top frame) is the latest release; for dotsy it is the latest
story.

On KDE.org, I would place the links on the left b/c people *in general* come to
the site to find something about KDE, not to read the front page (they might
read the front page once but frankly it's been years since I read the text
that's there).

There is some slight deviation from that b/c the front page also has some
dynamic content, such as announcements, dot stories, and appsy releases.  But
this is not the main purpose of the site, and so I do not see it as being the
same as /., dotsy, freshmeat and appsy in this regard.  I would place the nav
links on the top and left, and the content to the bottom and right.

Ciao,

Dre