kde.org re-design usability issues

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Sun Oct 20 16:00:38 UTC 2002

On Sunday October 20, 2002 08:48, Simon Edwards wrote:
> design for content pages.

Why not just go with three, to maximize the ability to find them?

> Other comments:
>
> * Please don't put the search facility top and center on the page. Put
> it in a high position in the menu column. Top and center on the page is
> prime time screen/page real estate, use it for something that's really
> important like the current news item or the site's tagline.  When people
> want to search the site they will look for it, don't jam it down thier
> throat.

yes

> * Don't EVER use underlined text except for links!!!

Well, that is part of the custom css for the usability site, not part of
the global KDE one.

> * What the "international" pull down does is 100% NOT clear in both of
> the designs. If it changes the language of the page, then it should be
> labelled "Language:".

Fine.

> * Don't use Bold for roll overs in links. It's very hard to read text
> when it is jumping between bold and normal weight.

Well, I revmoed those from the usability one...

> * Don't set the link decoration (underline) for links in the content
> area. Just let the browser use the user's default setting.

.. and also restored that. :-)

> * It haven't seen any vaguely convincing arguments for putting the menu
> column on the right side for the 1 column design. It's goes against a
> well established web standand and in fact is just looks odd (read: like
> someone screwed up).

Well-established standard?  Come on, blindly following an alleged crowd is
not the same as a standard.

The point of having the important text on the left is to make it seen
first.  Unless you accept that the actual text of the page is most
important, I don't see why you think the pages are even needed?

Surrounding the important text of the page with junk on the top, bottom,
and left hides the important stuff.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com
"The nearest I can make it out, 'Love your Enemies' means, 'Hate your
Friends'." - Benjamin Franklin