My analysis and conclusion about the current two drafts

Datschge at gmx.de Datschge at gmx.de
Sun Oct 20 03:18:17 UTC 2002

Please note that I'm only writing about the site appearance drafts and
not about stuff related to the internal structure Christoph etc. mentioned.

First Sebastian's 2 sided menu design currently (as for 20.10.02) shown
at http://www.kde.org/testing/

Pros:
-> It makes a clear distinction between navigation on/related to the
current site (left menu) and additional links to other sites of the KDE
family (right menu).
-> Potentially visitors will quickly feel familiar within other KDE
sites when all KDE related sites keep the right menu consistent like
proposed in this design.
-> Since we (when you read this) read from left to right, the left menu
get the visitors attention first. Since that menu contains links to
related topics of that very site visitors won't feel lost and are more
likely to find what they are looking for (supposed that the link
labeling and grouping is done logically for him, of course).
-> By using a light blue color scheme for all menu parts Sebastian
effectively brings the visitor's focus to the content (being
black/white) while still offering many ways for visitors to find more
related informations. (Contrast shouldn't increased due to exactly that
adavantage. I'd instead offer an alternative high contrast version of
the site, something Sebastian noted at the very )
-> Putting the search box in the center is a wise decision as well: not
only does that avoid irritations if it were included in the left (local
site) or right (KDE family) menu, it also offers a quick mean for
visitors who are locing for something specific but can find it right
away. Having it in the center ensures that visitors will see it and give
it a try when needed.
-> Sebastian's design looks compact and well balanced in all
resolutions, menues are not too long, and the content's width in high
resolutions is still readable due to the menues on both sides.
-> The left menu, which is the important menu since it represents the
site's local navigation, will show up in any resolution and whatever
width the actual content has.

Issues:
-> When links are hovered their text gets bold and thus changes its used
space which doesn't look professional and can potentially change the
site's proportions. Underlining them or inverting both their text and
background color would solve this.
-> The search text should be in light blue like all menu text (adding
'color: #36c;' to line 53 in main.css fixes that) and the search box
should be fixed in its width so it doesn't get slim and changes its
appearance at lower resolutions. This will also give more room for the
content.
-> The right menu could disappear behind the right window border of the
browser if content is big and browser window size/screen resolution
small. But I don't think that this possibility is a real issue with this
design since the right menu is intended to be the same on all sites of
the KDE family; visitors ideally look there once and after that only
when they want, so no unecessary scrolling would be involved. (When
adding 'width="390"' to line 138 the search box will be fixed and the
resulting design shows all content minus the right menu when maximized
in 640x480, maximizing it in 800x600 shows everything. I can attache
screenshots showing that on request.)

Now Neil and Jaseone's modified version of Sebastians design, one side
menu on the right, currently (as for 20.10.02) shown at
http://usability.kde.org/newdesign/

Pros:
-> Since the only menu is on the right all menu links are next to the
scroll bar and thus easy to reach.

Issues:
-> The first line is rather crowded and thus may look ugly for some
people (like me).
-> No clear distinction between the menu and the actual content due to
usage of blue and underlining in both of them and that not even only for
links.
-> No clear distinction in the menu which links are local links related
to the site and which are leading to other sites of the KDE family.
-> No clear usage for the search box (what will be searched at all?).
-> Additionally the whole page gets cut off by the left browser window
border even in screen resolutions over 1024x768 due to the bad size of
the text field.
-> The menu as well as the search box are basically invisible for
visitors due to its placement on the right (which is unusual). Focus is
solely on the content, which makes it possibile that the visitor won't
look at the menu and try a search at all when the page's content doesn't
give what he was looking for.
-> Even worse the menu might get completely obscured when the content
needs more width than the brower window gives.
-> The menu is far too long. Maximizing the window in a screen
resolution of 640x480 already gives a blank space of three pages with
given content. And the amount of wasted space is increasing in higher
resolutions while the text gets broader. which does not only look bad
but also makes the text in the content more unreadable overall.
-> The menu being so long and not split in a "related" and a "KDE
family" part makes it harder for visitors to notice similarities in menu
designs even though there might actually be a consistent part at the
bottom of it.

Conclusion:
I'm voting for Sebastian's design since it gives a better and more
professional impression, is more logically structured and is thus much
more useable. I honestly have to say I'm kind of embarassed that some
people from the "usability" list - which I follow since quite some time
and to which I intend to contribute to in the future - can mistake an
easy-reachable-menu hack approach as a perfect site design. Sebastian's
effort is - also usability-wise - superior in so many regards that it
would be very sad if the final design for KDE sites will turn out worse
due to imo doubtful compromises.

Thank you very much for your attention.
Datschge

PS: I want to thank Sebastian very much for his new site design and
especially for starting the discussion about finally giving KDE.org the
much needed re-design. At kdelook.org he got an imo deserved
overwhelming support. When I first looked at the kde-www archive I was
very surprised to see that he didn't even get CC'ed about the discussion
on this list...

PPS: Neil Stevens wrote "I don't care about polls. KDE never has been,
and never will be, democratically run when it comes to deciding
technical merit."
It's about a usability and look related merits though, and those polls
are done by users. Additionally, users at kdelook.org need to register
to be able to post and vote so no duplicate votes are possible. And
whatever else you want to add to that topic, I doubt the community of
KDE fans at kdelook.org will like what you wrote here about
disrespecting their opinions just because they happen to speak them out
where Sebastian's design was posted first and not here on kde-www.