More design disscussion ;)

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Sat Oct 19 17:45:54 UTC 2002

On Saturday October 19, 2002 10:28, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
> reading the lots of mails, here again my (bit changed)
> opinions/arguments:
>
> Some people seem to want that kde.org is a portal to the real content
> holding *.kde.org/* pages, or ? Wouldn't the dual menu layout fit with
> that need very much ?

I think that layout wouldn't be good enough for a links page.  I think if
www.kde.org/index.html is going to be a page of links, the design should
be optimized for easy acces and navigation of the links, rather than
shoving them off to the sides:

- --------------------------
| Common Header          |
|------------------------|
| Brief KDE summary      |
|------------------------|
| Search                 |
|------------------------|
| Three | Link | Columns |
|       |      |         |
|       |      |         |
|       |      |         |
|------------------------|
| Announcements          |
|                        |
|                        |
|                        |
|------------------------|
| Common Footer          |
|------------------------|

This layout is obvious quite different from the layout to be used by every
other page, as this page focuses on the links itself, while for other
pages the links are secondary.

That is, *if* that page's focus is to be made the links (which I think is a
good idea).

> In the end, the content on kde.org will be mainly,
> as said by someone before: Some announcements, some news, that was it in
> the end. You have a quick to find search function to search through
> kde.org and that was it. That the content may be a bit squeezed on
> little screen won't hurt that much for that bit of text. (And I don't
> see the loose of usability for that, as for a portal it is much nicer to
> have many links at once visible than to scroll down a lot to a least
> view what you search for)
>
> The other pages will hold much more information, news, full
> faqs/howtos/documentation, .... For them I surely agree that a one
> (left) sided menu is much better, as it simply frees up space.

Left is fine for the Hebrew, Arabic, or Farsi.  Right is better for
English, German, or Japanese.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com
"The nearest I can make it out, 'Love your Enemies' means, 'Hate your
Friends'." - Benjamin Franklin