apology

Sebastian Faubel sfaubel at gmx.de
Sat Oct 19 10:47:07 UTC 2002

> 1. We moved to XHTML, and added a print media stylesheet

no prblem, that's what i wanted to add anyway if you have read the
comments in the source code.

> 2. We moved to a single menu, so that the user doesn't have to search toom
> uch to find links, and so that even on small screens there is room for the
> main text to be shown.

depends. i don't think that you have to search for the links longer in
the two panel version than the other...as you don't have to scroll down
five times your monitor to find them.

moreover it's somehow practical to have them "right" at the eye...
and i think all pages should have their indivialised linkspanel.

regarding the small screens - somewhere you have to make a compromise.
either you give the avarage user a more usable or more practical layout
like mine, and take the decreased readability in really small screens
width a graphical browser - or you really take it very ideologic.

i came to the conclusion that either when people have a really small
resolution, they normally do not have a mordern graphical browser
supporting css or they are already used to have problems surfing the web
as really many sites to not make the effort anymore these days.

also think about the current poll on kde-look: i think it couldn't point
out our expected user group / resolutions better.....
somewhere you have to make a clear line.

> 3. We moved the search to a less prominent place, because being in the
> middle is in the way, especially on a small screen.

but isn't the content the most important thing on a page?

> 4. We modified the logo graphic to fit in with the CSS better

i don't think so. you just put it somewhere as background-image, which
is not really an bad idea but i think this is only reasonable togehter
with an alternate not displayed <h>title</h> for non graphical or non
css browers...

> 5. We removed all hard-coded fonts, as some users *need* to have sites
> honor their own fonts.  Small fonts are simply illegible to some people!

i intended to make the font-size relative. but i don't agree by removing
the font-family - this just doesn't fit any style or design..

for promoting a desktop environment it is really important to have the
visual style perfect these days...

> I hope to know what your comments are to these issues, and I hope that in
> understanding why we modified your code, you'll appreciate how we're
> trying to balance the many priorities in a good HTML design.

> By the way, KDE does actively support 800x600 screens for the desktop
> itself, so when I say small screen I mean a 600 pixel wide Konqueror
> window, as users shoudln't have to maximize the window to read the site.

don't you think i took these things in mind? i just set different
priorities - based on myexperience.com :-) Also i think we should let
the user decide what they think is better for them - don't you agree?
Just have a look at kde-look. We could make somekind of poll there...