Way to success?

Klaus Staerk klaus.staerk at gmx.net
Fri Oct 18 07:35:29 UTC 2002

Dear Sebastian,

sorry, but there are some formulations in your e-mail that I really don't like
and where I wonder if you really want to contribute to an Open Source
Project!

Here are some points about it - and please consider that this is NOT an
offense against you personally - it maybe should open your eyes on how things
work in an OSS project ...

1. The communication from your side towards the KDE webmasters wasn't that
good - you were asked several times to subscribe to the kde-www-list (until
you subscribed one day ...) - but this list is the central point where the
KDE webmasters discuss - maybe it would have been enough to regularly post to
the KDE webmasters without subscribing to kde-www - but you didn't. So don't
start a discussion about bad communication, please.

2. You say

"If this trend continiues, that everybody is just taking my stuff or making
pages, layouts & co without talking to me about it" -

Ahem, now, is this YOUR PERSONAL STUFF distributed under whatever licence or
is it a contribution to an Open Source Project - released under the GPL -
where it is allowed that somebody else takes your ideas and plays with it to
come to an alternative solution?

3. Who allows you to bash other people's ideas? Well, obviously some people
(Christoph and Neil?) took your layouts and played around with it - but does
this give you the right to be mad about it?

4. If you come to the point that you really want to contribute your stuff to
the KDE project - then be sure that nobody is really interested that you
always say: "hey, but the way the KDE pages look now is just my personal
idea"

This doesn't mean that nobody would appreciate your good work. Everybody's
work (no matter if programmer, designer, webmaster, translator, whatever,...)
here in the project is very much appreciated - also your's - but in the end
it's a part of the project and there's no point in insisting that it may
belong to you ...

So please, think about what you really want. And when you are able to
contribute to the KDE project and see how your work gets part of the project
and other people contribute again to your contribution (without you being mad
about it) then everything's fine. Please see that this is how things work in
an OSS project!

And when you're sure that you want to contribute here (in an cooperative way)
then be sure to be very welcome.

Best regards,

Klaus

--