Way to success?

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Thu Oct 17 20:49:59 UTC 2002

Hi,
now that Sebastian has shown his opinion (which is right in many way,
especially that nobody seems to have seen any need in informing him about the
newdesign testing stuff), here would come my proposal:

1. Restart in Design voting, please simply vote on this list which design now
should make it to get a final conclusion on at least that topic !
  To vote for I set atm three design:
     1) Sebastian's 2 sided menu design, which is successfull on kde-look and
         by many kde users / devs
     2) Sebastian's (personally disliked) 1 sided menu
     3) Neil + Jaseone's modified version of Sebastians design (1 side menu on
         the right)

2. Write up a design draft with the common sense stuff for the
directory/include structure on kde.org, which may include the following
common sense stuff on which the most people can agree:

www/inc - system wide includes
www/images - system wide images (needed for the in www/inc used design, ...)
www/styles - system wide style sheets
(maybe we can group that dirs in one "media" dir or so, to make it clear that
this dirs need to be on each server in sync)

www/areas/* - areas/locations/... whatever called kde homepages (for example
kde.org as home, usability, development, multimedia, ...) (That differs from
what you wanted in your design manual Sebastian, but not much, as your
toplevel dirs (development, ....) are just moved one step deeper in tree
hierarchy)

www/apps/* - for the application homepages of the kde apps

www/i18n/"isocode" - the internationalisated pages (like kde.de and more ;)

The different maintainers will get acl's for their dirs (like Sebastian
proposed in his paper and like it is atm, too)

The menu will be generated via a menu.inc in the current dir of the app,
support of hierachical menus can be done as atm in newdesign, quiet nice,
IMHO

Attached is Sebastian's design memo (as html, not that nice, sorry, had no
startoffice, physos converted it in on of the last irc meetings), it doesn't
fit 100% to what we have agreed on in irc, I only want to show what Sebastian
first thoughts were. (The most important stuff is nearly in sync with our
thought, only some dirnames differ (for example we have a subdir areas for
the multimedia/usability/... stuff), but that should not be that bad, or ?)

Should I set up a design paper on kde.org/new-design.html ? (just to view it
online for all ?)

cu
Christoph

- --