kde-www module

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Thu Oct 17 08:46:02 UTC 2002

On Thursday October 17, 2002 01:35, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> What do my commits break ????
> - your newdesign page

It removes features and reduces flexiblity, all without discussing first.

I put the code into kde-www because I thought we were going to cooperate.

> What does they archive:
>
> 1) it is now possible to simply put kde-www on one server for mirrors,
> on different servers for the "real-world" *.kde.org stuff as it is atm.

That won't work.  You're assuming, once again, that in the server we were
going to put every KDE site.  sysadmins told you no, and everyone here
told you no.  That's an inefficient use of the server resources.

> 2) the kde-www stuff now only needs on server side var, the php include
> path to be adjusted and per page only the $site_root given as relative
> path and that /images, /inc and /styles is located in the serverroot.

My design only required one var in 99% of the files!  You had to point to
one site.inc file.  The other vars go into that one measly site.inc file.

This is only a problem if we agreed to your mirroring scheme, which we
didn't.

> Now my question: What makes that worse ? K, perhaps styles per page can
> be enabled again, but that is a matter of 2 lines. If we reconstruct
> everything from scratch, we should do it right and not only because the
> newdesign on usabilty created by you and jasone does work as it does. I
> am simply not willed just to take your broken stuff only because it
> works for usabilty.kde.org/newdesign.

The code does work.  It just supports features you don't care about, and
doesn't support the feature that only you want.

> If you only want to revert because it breaks your newdesign study, than
> that is no point, it will break kate.kde.org, too and all other pages
> will be need to redone in each case.

What will be broken?  I thought we started from scratch?

> But all that may be disscussed again tomorrow, 19 MEST, know.

What's the point?  Unless we can make decisions, this whole project will
fail.  And I thought it was clear that the decision was made *not* to put
everything on the same server.  Your plan requires that.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com
"The nearest I can make it out, 'Love your Enemies' means, 'Hate your
Friends'." - Benjamin Franklin