Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Rainer Endres endres at physos.org
Fri Oct 11 08:04:14 UTC 2002

Hi

On Thursday 10 October 2002 17:39, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> If you want to do some constructive WWW work and got some free time,
> might I suggest that you focus on content?  Websites like the dot need
> a lot of help content-wise.  Having a pretty website that's dead with
> no regular content isn't exactly the best "corporate" image...

I just want to clearify Cullmann is not the only one owrking on this. There
are more ppl involved, including maintainers of some of the bigger *.kde.org
pages. He is just doing the visible stuff, wich enables _everybody_ to help.

Navindra, I nowhere saw any statement by cullmann that the content has to be
neglected. We have _lots_ of content already, but it is hard to maintain,
thats the main reason nobody tries IMHO. The desing suggestion is there, and
using it while renovating the content we have, is the best way to test it. So
lets not stop discussing it just because there is work to do on the content.

The current kde.org pages are a good example for "community structure" based
websites. *.kde.org reflects the structure of the KDE project, wich is totaly
unfamiliar with ppl outside the project. It has grown this way, it is not
bad, but it can be improved. Thats one goal to keep in mind. kde.org is
mostly an entry point for ppl outside the project, not only the KDE intranet
page.

The most important point to keep in mind for this effort, is to make
maintaining and generating content for kde.org as easy as possible. Not "it
works" but easy. When we want "normal developers" helping on the content,
they must be able to do so without caring about masses of HTML or stuff like
this, just generate the content wanted and include it at the place it should
go.

Just my 2ct, but I intend to invest quite some time and work to help in this
effort, since I think it has to be done.

MfG
	Rainer