discussion? where? well, not here...

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Sat Nov 23 16:38:27 UTC 2002

Mat Colton wrote:

[ .. ]

> > > Why should they? Appsy is commercial and has proven to be offline for
> > > weeks.
> >
> > Well a number of sites have been offline for weeks.
>
> Great argument... :P

I meant a number of sites listed on www.kde.org, including recently
enterprise.kde.org has been down for weeks.  Other sites with problems include
promo.kde.org, edu.kde.org, artists.kde.org, etc.

> > And so what if it's
> > .com?
>
> It's fine if they're commercial. But since it doesn't belong to KDE we have no
> influence on the site. So maybe tomorrow they'll ask for a subscription for
> everything. What do we know? So IMHO I wouldn't put that on the front page.
> Staying IMHO we should set up a apps.kde.org. :)

Errh, you do know that I run the site?

> > > So this is the kind of information you want on the front page? It  seems
> > > to dangerous IMHO.
> >
> > It's worked fine for the last 2 years or so,
>
> It didn't work fine. Often enough the site didn't work and the links on
> kde.org ended with "server not available".

Well it wasn't that often, and it was always has been some hardware problems.

> > and it's a feature a lot of
> > people really like about the homepage.
>
> True, but think about relying on a site that you have no influence on. Doesn't
> sound good to me.

Having a link is not relying.  If the site is down, just drop the links, pretty
easy :-).

Ciao,

Dre