new page layout for KDE-pages / Keramik

Klaus Staerk klaus.staerk at gmx.net
Thu Aug 22 17:08:30 UTC 2002

Hi Marko,

On Thursday 22 August 2002 13:40, marko faas wrote:
> > I was thinking about giving KDE.de a new Keramik-like style - and I was
> > wondering if there's already a discussion about a new webpage layout for
> > KDE.org and other webpages of the KDE-family - considering the new KDE
> > look-and-feel Keramik in the upcoming KDE release 3.1.
> >
> > I think we should give our pages a bit of the freshness of Keramik ...
> >
> > Any thoughts about this topic?
>
> I am also conseriding a new layout - And a new interaction design. Tto
> me, the current kde.org has lots and lots of good info, but it is so
> fragmented and not really targetted at specified user groups. Why should
> a new user now about KDE alpha's? Or how to help? And business users
> might want to know stuff about networking and return on investment.
> Users might want to read how to get the fonts right and what to do about
> multimedia.Also, I've noticed that a number of subsites are dead.

Hm, to my mind, we should bring the navigation bar into a new order (e.g.
leave the section KDE-Family away; instead creating a separate page for the
KDE-Family, and many many more things to do here). This would be - beneath
creating a new layout - the only thing that would have to be done (although
still a big workload).

Creating five separate sections for five different kinds of users brings IMO
too much confusion. How do you want to decide which category of user group
you (or any other person) belong to?

One example for this is the webseite of SuSE (www.suse.de/www.suse.com). They
separate their users at the homepage into business users, private users ...
Sure, some information is rather adressed to business users (e.g. workgroup
solutions like Domino/Notes), other information for private users - but quite
a lot of information is for both of them. And the next thing is: many
visitors are business users as well as private users in one person. Do you
know what I mean?

> Of course, tehre is so much info already available, that most of KDE.org
> just should be reshuffled. Some info should be rewritten with more
> consideration to the target groups, but al in all, I think a resuffle
> can be done fairly quick.

Yes, that's what I meant. Bringing our structure into a new, better order. And
rewrite the texts of our pages.

> Only the way how to update things, that might be more complicated, and
> for that, I hope some of you can think of something. I think that we
> should find a way to make translations not only possible through CVS,
> but also through a webinterface. I think it would be easier to translate
> news too. (For example, After my work, I could check the content
> management system through the web, translate some news for an hour while
> I wait until the traffic jams are gone...)

Good idea, but would be a separate project. :-)

I have the impression that the German web administrators (KDE.de) also agree
with a new design - so what do KDE.org-admins mean? (Pleas cross-post to
kde-www at mail.kde.org and www-de at mail.kde.org - thank you!)

Hm, maybe we should start with a proposal for a new layout for the KDE pages,
what do you think?

Best regards,

Klaus :-)

--