[Kde-women] Seeking ideas that aren't in the tech conference program (OHM, 30C3) yet...

Agnes Meyder agnes at meyder.eu
Thu Jul 25 19:53:05 UTC 2013

Hej,

summer is the time to prepare for winter or to go on summer camp! I
would appreciate it, if you would consider the following call for
participation and spread the word :).

Greets
Agnes
----

Subject: Seeking ideas that aren't in the tech conference program (OHM,
30C3) yet...

Some people have summarized the lack of female speakers at tech
conferences with the following statements:

"For every bad male speaker (sorry), there’s two good female ones who
didn’t consider submitting a talk."
- https://twitter.com/janl/status/213034592318394371

"When I’d talk to men about the conference and ask if they felt like
they had an idea to submit for a talk, they’d *always* start
brainstorming on the spot...and yet, overwhelmingly the women I talked
to with the same pitch deferred with a, “well, but I’m not an expert on
anything,” or “I wouldn’t know what to submit..."
-
http://geekfeminism.org/2012/05/21/how-i-got-50-women-speakers-at-my-tech-conference/

Hi, we are Nick and Agnes. Nick Farr presents and curates the Lightning
Talks at various tech events throughout the US and Europe. He is in the
process of putting together the Lightning Talks for OHM2013, the
biennial hacker camp taking place July 31st to August 4th and for the
30C3, the Chaos Communication camp taking place in Hamburg from December
27th to the 30th. Agnes organizes volunteers at the congress and loves
to moderate talks.

We would like to encourage you to submit your ideas to one, both or even
more tech events!  There are a few spots left for 5 minute lightning
talks at OHM.  The CFP is currently open for 30 or 60 minute talks at
the congress and the call for 5 minute lightning talks at the congress
will open soon!   Lightning Talks are the perfect way to get a feel for
what it's like to be on stage, connect with many potential collaborators
and help get started with your full-length lecture submission.

While Lightning Talk submissions are not normally granted free entry or
travel expenses, there are foundations and other institutions that may
cover the costs of your trip and ticket.  If you cannot travel to these
events because of time conflicts or personal reasons, please feel free
to present or submit a pre-recorded lightning talk or ask to give a live
remote talk.

If you know someone who has an excellent idea or topic, but is a bit shy
or reluctant to present, please encourage them to submit a Lightning
Talk!  Lightning talks are accepted first-come, first-served as long as
basic criteria are met.  Almost all Lightning Talks are accepted until
there are no longer spots left.  Every submitter will get a reply.

In contrast, 30 and 60 minutes talks for the 30C3 have to be submitted
until September 15. The content team will then review all talks based on
the submitted abstract and reserve a slot. If your topic can not be
covered in just 5 minutes, why not try for the bigger slots?

However, full-length 30 and 60 minutes talk for the 30C3 must be
submitted by September 15. The content team will notify all submitters
whether or not their talks were accepted. If your topic can not be
covered in just 5 minutes, why not try for the bigger slots?
For more information on how to submit, see:

https://ohm2013.org/wiki/Lightning_talks
http://events.ccc.de/2013/07/18/30c3-call-for-participation-en/

Please also forward this call to any other communities in tech that you
feel may benefit from it.

Please get in touch with us, if you have any, big or small, questions!
We are also able to provide you with feedback on your topic!

Nick Farr and Agnes Meyder

--
nick at nickfarr.org D762E03B
agnes at meyder.eu C8AEF160