[Kde-women] Linux Format article

Rebecca Smalley rebecca.smalley at futurenet.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 11:46:51 CEST 2005

Hi all

I work on Linux Format magazine (www.linuxformat.co.uk). I am writing
an article about women in Linux and would be very grateful if any of
you were free to talk to me on the subject. What I want to look at in
the article is whether there is some aspect of the Linux community that
is somehow putting off women from becoming involved, and, if so, ask
what Linux would be like with more women in the community. What are we
missing out on, why does it matter that women are almost absent, what
possible solutions are there, and so on.

It would be wonderful to chat (preferably by email) to women active in
the community about their thoughts and experiences on the subject. The
kind of questions I'd like to ask are:
1. How are you involved in open source?
2. How did you get involved, and did you have to struggle against any
sexism, prejudice or assumptions about female programmers along the
way?
3. Figures suggest that numbers of female programmers are particularly
low in FOSS. Do you think there are things about the FOSS community and
the open source development process that puts women off, be they
conscious or unconscious?
4. Do you think the Linux world is suffering from a lack of women? How
do you think it would be different if more women were involved in
contributing and managing open source projects?
5. What do your male and female friends think about your involvement in
Linux? Have you ever had a hard time from anyone about it?
6. Do you have any ideas for how the community could encourage more
women to get involved?

If you'd like any more detail about the magazine or my planned article,
please let me know.

With kind regards

Rebecca Smalley

Operations Editor
Linux Format
+44 (0)1225 442244 ext 5115
rebecca.smalley at futurenet.co.uk
www.linuxformat.co.uk

Visit the LXF team blog at www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please reply to this email and then delete it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Future.

The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Future accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Future may regularly and randomly monitor outgoing and incoming emails and other telecommunications on its email and telecommunications systems. By replying to this email you give your consent to such monitoring.