[Kde-women] KDE Women - Introduction

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu Jan 29 14:59:38 CET 2004

On January 29, 2004 08:31 am, webdiva at skynet.be wrote:
> Talking about learning... I've been looking for evening courses like crazy
> and found nothing. No programming courses (unless you want to go back to
> uni and become engineer), no unix or linux courses. I even posted messages
> on the Brussels Linux message list and no one could tell where I could
> follow a unix or linux course??? The only thing I can find is expensive
> courses like red hat certification which must be 400 € for a 3 day course
> and you have to know the basics already... Any idea on how to learn
> programming when you're working all day and don't have much money??? ;-)
>
> Marie

Just buy a book or study some online tutorials. You'll find some sample code
to try. Then try your hands on a real project when you have the basics. Then
you'll be able to learn deeper.
I began with some online C++ tutorials and now I have 5 C++ books plus 2
Design Patterns books! (well, I love books...) I bring a C++ book while my
daughter is having her ice-skating lesson for example.
Each time I come to something new in C++, I try to read about it. I also
understand better things that I have learnt at the beginning. But I would say
that after 3 years, I am still a beginner...

Maybe I could write a webpage on the women.kde.org with a sort of 'guideline'
on learning C++/Qt/KDE
- online C++ tutorials
- online Qt tutorials
- annma's tutorial ;)
- try it yourself! and use: Qt doc and KDE API doc

The incredible fact is that everything is possible in Open Source, whatever
gender, country and ... age ;)

Latest  website news:
1) Marina translated some tutorials to Russian, thanks!
2) Did you read the article Tuxy wrote on the website about Kalzium? If anyone
feels like writing something about a KDE application or anything else related
to Free Software, please do it and either send me the html or go further and
use cvs yourself to put it online (I'll guide you)!
3) Someone with php/mySQL knowledge is needed to carry on the database
project.

Cheers,

annma