[Kde-women]Re: SPAM: kde-women digest, Vol 1 #79 - 1 msg

Sallie Krebs kde-women@mail.kde.org
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:31:19 -0600

On Saturday 02 March 2002 05:02, kde-women-request@mail.kde.org wrote:

>    1. Who are you? (Eva Brucherseifer)
> The email address look really interesting... so what about doing a
> round of introductions? Who are you? How did you find this list? How
> long have you been subsribed? Why are you subscribed? Where do you
> come from? How old are you (ok, forget about this one ;-)? Do you
> work in IT? What is your profession? Are you a student? What OS do
> you mainly use? How did you learn Linux/KDE? Do you use KDE on a
> daily basis? Do you miss something in KDE? ...lot's of questions.

Hi! I'm Sallie Krebs, from Illinois (USA), *way* too old (51)

I've been subscribed from day one... I think I was contacted by someone
in IRC about joining the list, but I don't remember who it was now. The
reason I subscribed was to learn more about KDE, and hopefully to
participate and share some of my experiences with others.
Unfortunately- due to work and other commitments- I haven't had time to
really participate in any of the lists I've joined, which include
several for Kapital products I've purchased plus Progeny (now,
unfortunately, defunct.)

I work at the Post Office as an electronics technician- I maintain and
repair mail processing equipment, computers, etc.

I've been running Linux for about 4 years now- Debian for most of that
time. I think the first distro I tried was Caldera which introduced me
to KDE. I tried Gnome a couple of times, but found that KDE was much
easier to use and has far more functionality. I haven't tried Gnome in
over a year now, though. I *do* love having a choice and will probably
do more experimenting with different desktops when I have more time-
maybe in 4 years when I will, hopefully, retire :)

Do I miss something in KDE? That's hard to answer... It's been about a
year and a half since I had windoze installed and in use even on a part
time basis. I do have to use it at work, however, and am constantly
cursing the lack of functionality that I take for granted in Linux/KDE.
I keep hearing that Linux isn't ready for the desktop... HUH? It
certainly has everything I need, and more! Oh, well, there is one
thing- but it's a Konqueror problem, not KDE. I can't do my online
banking using Konq, so I have to use Mozilla. I read an online
discussion about the problem- it has something to do with Java. Overall
though, KDE is spectacular!

--
Sallie - aka: TuxGal