[Kde-women]Pauline Leet?

Eva Brucherseifer kde-women@mail.kde.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:59:44 +0200

Hi Amelie,

was kind of busy lately....

On Friday 12 April 2002 19:09, Amelie Zapf wrote:
> Hi Eva, KDE-women,
>
> > When I returned to visit two years
> > after graduation, one of the older people I knew, a faculty
> > wife, sat me down and told me what she had discovered. She
> > had seen that women were oppressed much as black folk were
> > in US society. She coined a word for it based on the term
> > 'racism.' namely, 'sexism.'
>
> http://www.lib.washington.edu/Ougl/fun/qboard/sexi.html mentions:
> > When, how, and by whom did the words 'sexist' and 'sexism' come into
> > being?
> >
> > "Sexist" appeared first, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. It
> > was coined by PM Leet in a 1965 speech: "When you argue...that since
> > fewer women write good
> > poetry this justifies their total exclusion, you are taking a position
> > analogous to that of the racist--I might call you in this case a
> > 'sexist'--who says that since so few
> > Negroes have held positions of importance...their exclusion from history
> > books is a matter of good judgement rather than discrimination."
> >
> > "Sexism" appeared three years later, in a 1968 speech by C. Bird: "Sexism
> > is judging people by their sex where sex doesn't matter."
> >
> > Both quotations are cited in the OED (OUGL Reference, PE 1625 O87 1989).
> >

> > Basically I know only a few famous feminists (apart from many the not so
> > famous, but still hard working feminists ;-). The one I know most about
> > is the german Alice Schwarzer who's is running a german feminist
> > magazine.
>
> I could recommend a couple books to you to remedy that situation ;-)

Yes, that would be great :-) The best would be some kind of novel, since I
already have to read many "Sachbücher" (specialized books) at work ;-)

BTW, I saw that your band is often on tour - do you also plan to come to
Darmstadt or close to Darmstadt soon? Would be great to visit a concert :-)

Cheers,
eva