[Kde-women]Pauline Leet?

Eva Brucherseifer kde-women@mail.kde.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:02:21 +0200

On Friday 12 April 2002 08:50, Amelie Zapf wrote:
> Hi Eva, KDE-women,
>
> > in the heated discussion on KDE-Cafe the name of Pauline Leet was
> > mentioned. I never heard about her. Can anyone tell me more?
>
> not really, google looks very unpromising. There's 3 hits, a pastor's
> guestbook, an announcement of a speech her husband's gonna deliver & an
> incredibly large PDF about interfaith ministries. Not so helpful, huh?

Not really...

It was actually Bob Rea who mentioned Pauline Leet not Tink. Here is what he
said that made me curious:

"And thanks for this discussion. I consider myself a male
feminist for two reasons. The first is that I was
introduced to primal modern feminism by one of the original
people. In college i was involved in the civil rights
movement in the USA. When I returned to visit two years
after graduation, one of the older people I knew, a faculty
wife, sat me down and told me what she had discovered. She
had seen that women were oppressed much as black folk were
in US society. She coined a word for it based on the term
'racism.' namely, 'sexism.' Yes, she was the one who first
named and described it, Pauline Leet, in 1967. So i learned
it from the source."

Basically I know only a few famous feminists (apart from many the not so
famous, but still hard working feminists ;-). The one I know most about is
the german Alice Schwarzer who's is running a german feminist magazine.

Cheers,
eva