DBus on Windows - failing Jenkins builds

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 11:49:28 GMT 2020

Le sam. 1 févr. 2020 à 09:57, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> a écrit :

> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 9:51 PM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Johnny,
>

> > There are some builds in Jenkins that fail because of unresolved
> > external symbol of KStatusNotifierItem class (and let's be fair, I
> > don't like failing Jenkins).
> > After digging a bit, it is due to the fact that KNotifications is
> > built without dbus support:
> > https://cgit.kde.org/knotifications.git/tree/CMakeLists.txt#n42
> > meaning kstatusnotifieritem.cpp is not compiled:
> > https://cgit.kde.org/knotifications.git/tree/src/CMakeLists.txt#n24
>
> Aha. I had seen a few of these KSNI symbol failures, so it's nice to
> know why they're occurring.
>

> > However dependencies (drkonqi and ruqola if I'm not wrong), don't have
> > a condition on Windows for DBus use and directly use the
> > KStatusNotifierItem class.
> >
> > I'm not sure on the support of DBus on Windows and what is the right
> > direction to go:
> > * either enable dbus on KNotifications for Windows (if it is supported).
> > * or disable dbus on Windows on programs that uses it (drkonqi and ruqola)..
>
> Given that D-Bus doesn't really belong on Windows, doesn't bring us
> much in the way of benefits there (as users are using just a single
> application in many cases), and has tended to cause false positives
> with anti-malware products, i'd suggest we follow the path of
> disabling dbus support.
>
> Of course that brings up the question of whether KSNI should exist at
> all on Windows. If memory serves it provides support for system tray
> icons, in which case it probably should just wrap around the
> appropriate Qt classes (for which I think fallback code already
> exists?) and not compile any of the D-Bus stuff.
>
> Thoughts?

It may be something to discuss on kde-devel (or directly with the
corresponding teams) because I don't know much about the use of the
library in the applications.

KStatusNotifierItem is not used a lot on drkonqi:
https://github.com/KDE/drkonqi/search?q=statusnotifier&unscoped_q=statusnotifier
so it should not be complicated to bypass it on Windows but it seems
to require more efforts for ruqola.

Johnny

Johnny