Mixing compilers

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jun 23 11:40:30 BST 2019

Hi!

I'll try to break my earlier question about building rkward frontend /
backend with different compilers into (hopefully) more managable
chunks. The basic idea is still that we might build our frontend
process using MSVC (and will be able to use QWebEngine), and the
backend process using MinGW (in order to solve compatibility
nightmares). Questions:

1. I assume it is still correct that craft does not support multiple
compilers in one installation, and there are no plans to add anything
the like.

My plan then would have to be along the lines to build the backend,
alone, on a MinGW craft, and the frontend, on an MSVC craft. Then on
the MSVC craft, I would additionally fetch the MinGW-built backend
binary, somehow. So questions:

2. Can a single craft recipe produce two separate artifacts (frontend /
backend), or will I need separate recipes?

3. Can a single recipe be source-compiled on one compiler, but binary
on another? Or will I need to split the backend package, further, into
a source recipe and a binary recipe?

4. (How) can I install a binary package from the binary factory itself?

Regards
Thomas