Craft recipes with more than one target

Robert Lancaster rlancaste at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:24:00 GMT 2019

Hi Hannah,

	I have a question about whether craft is capable of doing something.  In my quest to build Mac craft recipes for building KStars, I have made a number of recipes.   One set of them though, seems a little silly.  I had to make one recipe for building indiserver, one for making indiserver 3rdParty, and one for each of the Indi driver libraries (there are 10 of them) which are dependencies of the indiserver 3rdParty build.  Each recipe is fairly easy to write since they are almost identical.  It also makes some sense because people may want to install libsbig but not install INDI, since they might want to use it for something else.  But there are a couple of issues with that.   First, there are at least 12 recipes to maintain, which are all coming from the same source.  Each of these 12 recipes uses the exact same repository:  https://github.com/indilib/indi <https://github.com/indilib/indi>.   Another issue with that is file size and download speed, because the download of indi for each recipe is 481 MB apiece.  That gives a total of 5.6 GB for the whole INDI build.  And when INDI changes they would all need updates. . .

	So I could see a couple of solutions to this:

One might be to download the repository once, and then somehow point all of them to the same source folder.  This would have the advantage of reducing the file size, but still allowing a user to build whichever part of indi they like as well as build it all with the craft dependency structure as I currently have them organized.  But I’m not sure how to change this setting to make all of them use the same folder.  Right now of course each one downloads to its own source folder based on the package name.

Another one would be to somehow write the 3rd party recipe to build all of the libraries in addition to the 3rd party build.  Is there a way to do something like this, where you can specify more than one source folder, so that it runs the configure, make, and install steps for each one?  The following will not work currently because it will just do the second one.
	self.targetInstSrc['Latest'] = "3rdparty/libaltaircam"
        self.targetInstSrc['Latest'] = “3rdParty"

Another solution that I found is that I can specify from the command line the source folder, so that in my script, I might be able to say:
	craft -vvv -i --src-dir ~/AstroRoot/kstars-craft/download/git/libs/indiserver3rdParty-latest/3rdparty/libfishcamp indiserver3rdParty-latest
	craft -vvv -i --src-dir ~/AstroRoot/kstars-craft/download/git/libs/indiserver3rdParty-latest/3rdparty indiserver3rdParty-latest
But to do it this way, I cannot specify the targetInstSrc folder because it will try to look in a subfolder when I specify src-dir

What would be the best approach, or do you have a better one?

	In other news, I almost have the KStars recipes finished.  Most of the things we need are now building well.  This  week I wrote the code that we need to build KStars using those recipes and make a repository for it.  We can now successfully build a dmg that works almost as well as the old scripts that used homebrew do.  There’s just a few more things to iron out.  If you are interested, the build script is here:

	https://github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft <https://github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft>

And my Mac versions of the recipes are here:

	https://github.com/rlancaste/craft-blueprints-kde <https://github.com/rlancaste/craft-blueprints-kde>

We probably will have the issues worked out by next week.

Thanks,

Rob