Binary Factory & Windows CI builds temporarily offline

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jun 11 10:41:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi all,

> Due to some issues with MSVC we are currently encountering, the Binary
> Factory is currently unable to successfully complete Windows builds.
> As part of diagnosing these, reinstallation of MSVC has been required,
> which has required Windows CI builds to be disabled temporarily.
>
> It is likely that CI coverage will be restored sometime in the next 24
> hours, however Binary Factory capability will take longer.

CI Coverage has now been restored, however please note that dependency
changes to non-KDE projects will not be possible until the Binary
Factory has been restored to operational condition (as the CI relies
on Craft for non-KDE projects, and it is unable to complete builds due
to the WebRTC/Glib issues).

We are also unable to deploy any new CI nodes for Windows at this time
due to the same issue.

The Binary Factory remains inoperable at this time.

> Unfortunately due to the nature of these failures it is possible we
> will not be able to restore full service until Microsoft releases the
> 3rd preview release of Visual Studio 15.8.
>
> For those interested, the issue preventing us from restoring coverage
> is a compiler/linker regression within MSVC in the 15.7 series, which
> occurs when building the WebRTC component used within QtWebEngine (and
> which also affects builds of Firefox and Chrome for those doing that).
>
> Unfortunately rolling back to an earlier version of MSVC isn't an
> option in our case as changes to the Visual Studio build utility
> (MSBuild) cause it to pass unsupported arguments to the
> compiler/linker when building glib. It would appear that regardless of
> the version of Visual Studio you choose to install, you receive a
> version of MSBuild which only works properly with 15.7.
>
> In most circumstances this would not be an issue, however other
> changes necessitate a complete rebuild of the entire dependency tree
> (including glib and Qt).
>
> My apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Cooksley
> KDE Sysadmin

Regards,