A new tier1 for icontheme.rcc handling

Hannah von Reth vonreth at kde.org
Thu Jan 18 07:45:51 UTC 2018

Hi everyone.

Only some few of you will be aware of KIconThemes ability to load binary
icon themes automagically.

https://cgit.kde.org/kiconthemes.git/tree/src/kicontheme.cpp#n48

The code looks for a icontheme.rcc and sets it as default theme.

On Windows and Mac we rely on that code as it is more feasible to
install that one
file with an single application installer. This code also ensures that
the theme path is set,
which on Linux is done by the qpa.

The problem with the current solution is that it only allows one single
theme and is in a tier3
framework.

I recently talked to David Faure and we agreed that it would be best to
put those few line of code into a new
created tier1 framework, with an explicit call instead of the magical

The explicit call would allow to specify the theme loaded and we  can
still maintain the current behaviour by putting a call to
that new framework into KIconThemes.

Now we need a name for that tier1 framework and ideally someone who
steps up for the once in a lifetime chance to become
maintainer of a glorious new tier1 framework.

Cheers,

Hannah