Binary-Factory and download links

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Aug 16 13:38:14 BST 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:32 AM Kåre Särs <kare.sars at iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi Hannah,
>
> On Thursday, 16 August 2018 12:00:42 EEST Hannah von Reth wrote:
> > Any reason for not using the a stable build officially?
> >
> > https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kate_Release_win64/

Just a quick note in regards to scalability - the files on
binary-factory.kde.org are served directly by Jenkins, and therefore
doesn't scale well for large download volumes.
If we could grab packages for final releases from the Binary Factory
and upload those to download.kde.org that would be awesome.

(It also has the benefit of allowing people to more easily go back in
time in the future to an older version should that be needed)

> I don't see any meaningful reason not to use it. I had hoped to meet you here
> at Akademy to work on the binary-factory installer. I have now at least made a
> list of files that I think could be removed from installation. I'm not 100%
> sure about all the files in the list tho. Do we have a use-case for for example
> qtexttospeech_sapi.dll?
>
> There are also things compiled that could be removed. For example KActivity
> and KGlobalAccel don't do anything on Windows.
>
> You can pass -DFORCE_DISABLE_KGLOBALACCEL=1 to kxmlgui to not need it (but
> that you probably already knew already ;)
>
> Attached is the list of files that I think could be removed.
>
> Regards,
>   Kåre

Cheers,
Ben