Translations

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Thu Sep 7 06:11:46 UTC 2017

Hi,

(even tho I'm not Hannah :)
On torsdag 7 september 2017 kl. 00:39:59 EEST Robert Lancaster wrote:
> Hi Hannah,
>
> Jasem was telling me today about a new translations feature that was
> implemented.  He said there might be problems on Macs and Windows but that
> you are working on it.  I tried his instructions and got partially there.
> I went to the directory I was building kstars.  I used make
> fetch-translations and it acquired the po files.  Then I did make and it
> made the mo files.  Then I did make install and it put them into a
> subfolder called /share/locale.   But it doesn’t show up in the program.

KI18n searches <QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation>/locale/ for the
translation files. So on Windows one of the search paths is <app dir>/data/
locale/

Then the search path would be something like:

> Does this feature need to look in the /usr/share/locale directory for the
> translation files or is it a relative path?  A big problem with that is
> that on MacOS, the /usr/share directory is not writeable except by the
> system.  Is there a way to change where it looks for the files, like a
> preference?  Or would you need to hard-code locations?  A good place to
> look for them would be inside the app bundle like
> Kstars.app/Contents/Resources/locale or in ~/Library/Application
> Support/kstars/locale.

I would assume that the this means "/Library/Application Support/locale/..."
in the application bundle. (Note: I don't have a Mac to check with...)

/Kåre