Craft Stable

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun May 21 19:14:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, 20 May 2017 23:20:55 +0200
Hannah von Reth <vonreth at kde.org> wrote:
> On 20/05/2017 22:31, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
[...]
> > Regarding this, what is the current "state of the art" approach to
> > packaging? For RKWard we had already set up an NSIS installer. This
> > seems to work to some degree (produces a package, still struggling
> > with missing MinGW runtime, and failure to find Qt plugins).
> > However I have an inkling that NSIS wouldn't be the "default"
> > approach to packaging, anymore. Where can I read up on this?
> Well NSIS is the current way and I think even so the syntax is a
> nightmare its one of the best nightmares I had until today.

I feel your pain... See
https://cgit.kde.org/rkward.git/tree/windows_nsis/installer.nsi
(not sure, if we'll still provide this, but this was our custom
installer to update RKWard in existing installations of R and KDE). But
fortunately, craft does a good job of hiding all the mess...

[...]

> Regarding the runtime, pls add a dependency to lib/runtime to rkward,
> it would be probably reasonable to only set the dep if the compiler is
> mingw, as we have a different solution with NSIS to provide the
> runtime with msvc.

Ok, thanks for the hint about the lib/runtime dependency. Solves the
first issue, well. (Although I'll try to remember to look into
providing a patch for NullsoftInstallerPackager.py; seems odd that I
would have to specify extra dependencies just for packaging).

That still leaves the issue of Qt not finding its plugins. This even
prevents startup due to the missing "windows" platform plugin. I can
work around this by copying "plugins/platforms" to "bin", on the target
system. But that does not seem to be the proper fix.

This problem isn't new, and I even tried to come up with a solution a
year ago:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-windows/2016-March/009636.html

Yes, that was rejected for good reason, and I certainly don't intend to
re-open that discussion. But back then, I was left thinking that a
proper solution was on its way:
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/127169/ . That has been committed
long ago, but the problem persists.

Long background, simple question: How to fix this, properly?

Regards
Thomas