Some questions regarding packaging KStars

Cojocaru Raphael raphael.cojocaru at gmail.com
Mon May 16 17:45:53 UTC 2016

Hi everyone!

Working on "KStars on Windows" project, I met some challenges and now I
have some questions that I can't find the answers. I would really
appreciate any help from KDE-Windows team.
After I successfully built KStars, I've got two folders with "kstars.exe"
inside (only kstars.exe" inside actually):

- C:\K\build\kde\kstars\work\msvc2015-RelWithDebInfo-master\bin  AND

- C:\K\build\kde\kstars\image-msvc2015-RelWithDebInfo-master\bin

I tried to run "kstars.exe" from inside both of them and the execution
failed due to various missing DLLs.

1.) Is this normal? Shouldn't all dependencies needed by KStars be
automatically solved by emerge tool?

In order to run "kstars.exe" I needed to manually add all required DLLs
inside those two directories.

2.) Another question is: Why those two "kstars.exe" run differently? The
file from "work" folder lacks lot of functionality, while the other
"kstars.exe" runs perfectly, keeping the entire functionality.

3.) But, at the same time, I have another "kstars.exe" file inside
"C:\K\bin" directory, that runs without requiring to copy all those DLLs. I
added KStars icons using "emerge --update kstars", after I modified the
"kstars.py" file. The changes have been applied only on this "kstars.exe"
from "C:\K\bin" and not to the other two as well. Why? Is this normal? If
not, please tell me, how could I update the other two executable files as
well?

Secondly, I tried to package KStars, but because all those DLLs were
missing, the installer I've got was not functional at all.

Until now I thought that "emerge --package kstars" will do the entire
packaging job for me. This means it should automatically collect all files
needed by "kstars.exe" in order to run.

4) How could I actually get this functionality and what I've made wrong?
(or how should be done this job)
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Raphael