KDevelop on Windows & SFTP

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Dec 29 14:48:26 UTC 2016

On Thursday, 29 December 2016 12:14:54 CET KDevelop wrote:
> Sergey (not verified) (sergey at stremidlo.name) sent a message using the
> contact form at https://www.kdevelop.org/contact/kdevelop_feedback.
>
> Message
>
> Hi!
>
> Kdevelop is great!
>
> But without sftp him benefit is less :(
> How to enable sftp and edit remote files?

Heya,

we're not shipping the KIO SFTP client in the Windows package.

This would mean we have to ship the kio-extras package, which we don't at the
moment. I just tried to build kio-extra and use the KIO SFTP slave, but I'm
not entirely works as expected.

After installation of kio-extras, it's easy to try on the command-line, using
DebugView to watch the output:
  kioclient5 ls sftp://demo:password@test.rebex.net:22

On Linux this gives me:
.
..
pub
readme.txt

On Windows, there's no output whatsoever. Could be that kioclient5 is buggy,
or the SFTP slave. Didn't investigate further.

If you want to play around yourself, you can build the whole stack using KDE's
Craft package manager on Windows:
  https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Windows

Then just:
  craft kio-extras kde-cli-tools

... and try to make this work:
  kioclient5 ls sftp://demo:password@test.rebex.net:22

If that's working we can try to ship kio-extras as well, giving you access to
more KIO slaves.

Hope that helps,
Kevin