Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Thu Oct 22 13:51:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2015, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Impressive! And cool to see another project using the cmake externals
>>> approach, I can copy a lot of it for Krita 3, I think. How are you
>>> handling icons? Bundling the breeze theme, or putting the icons in resource
>>> files?
>> as I was lazy, I just compiled complete breeze into a binary rcc file like done
>> in mac.txt: (search for the rcc calls)
>>
>> https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kate.git&a=blob&h=275a28d36b132f0f5d3963ae40b451d264bae3a5&hb=1486c0e69df54e955e25223ff9d99d87751d2ba3&f=mac.txt
>
> Ah, interesting... Yesterday, I did something similar, a little helper that
> copies the breeze icons that are in a list and puts them in a qrc file :-)
I just use the rcc -project option for that, to pack all files in the current dir ;=)

>> Kate and KWrite call then this helper function after the initial QApplication
>> construction:
>>
>> https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kate.git&a=blob&h=75b9d81be88aac55a689ca99adc9a5e0ae0bb1d3&hb=1486c0e69df54e955e25223ff9d99d87751d2ba3&f=icons.h
>>
>> The nice thing: that helper is always compiled in, that means you can test it
>> with a normal compiled Kate/KWrite.
>>
>> This for sure can be tuned to just pack the right breeze icons in that you need,
>> but ATM even breeze lacks some icons
>> we use in KWrite/Kate/KTextEditor (or perhaps even some other frameworks).
>>
>> All in all, the Mac and Windows port need no magic defines ATM, at least none I
>> am aware off,
>> and no non-native magic (if you ignore that we use cmake/python/perl for some
>> stuff).
>
> Very, very nice!
And very simple ;=) And without ugly "BUNDLE_MODE_HACK" defines.

If such an approach seems reasonable, we could have some helper for this in a framework.
Perhaps the "breeze" framework could even just provide such an rcc and a little lib to
load it that can be used for people creating bundles/installers.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com