Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Wed Oct 21 20:12:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> What's important to realize is that deployment under Windows works different
>
>> to deployment under Linux: In Linux, you have the package manager which
>
>> automatically drags in all correct dependencies and you are fine.
>

>> In Windows, such a package manager does not exist. KDE tried to create
>
>> such a package manager through the emerge/KDE Windows installer, but
>
>> this is non-standard [on Windows] and simply not what users want.
>

>> Speaking for Kate or KWrite, we want one downloadable .zip/installer that
>
>> just installs Kate/KWrite, and that's it. Yes, that implies that Kile,
>
>> KDevelop, ... will again install Qt and all the required frameworks, but
>
>> this is how things
>
>> work on Windows, and that's perfectly fine (size is not an issue).
>

> Maybe Qt could be shared ?
Maybe, but actually, even with the most dumb application bundle I have created ATM
all stuff together is around 50 MB compressed and installed 125 MB.

This includes a more or less complete Qt (with webkit, some debug plugins and other not used stuff) +
xx of our frameworks and a complete Breeze icon set (and most of the kate plugins).

gekko:Contents cullmann$ du -ms *
92      Frameworks
1       Info.plist
1       MacOS
22      PlugIns
11      Resources

gekko:Contents cullmann$ du -ms .
124     .

You can shrink that, by not bundling things you don't need, and I guess that could save
again 40 - 50 MB.

Still, on a modern machine that means not much, given one MP3 album or some raw photos are already larger.

On a Windows machine, 125 MB are a Joke ;=)
On some Mac, yeah, you have not that much space, but alone Firefox or Chrome are here > 150 MB. I don't think
the current bundle size is that ridiculous.

And the big benefit: One can install my alpha crashy something quality Kate bundle with its Qt something version
and some imaginary Krita bundle that is installed in parallel will NOT be borked!

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com