Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Oct 20 18:15:24 UTC 2015

Christoph.

I have had similar goals for a while, but haven't reached the point
that I was having much success yet in that regard. One thing to keep
in mind when developing installers, Qt Installer Framework. I did a
quick test with attica on OS X I can put on reviewboard to see what
you think. I added a few lines to CMakeLists.txt to make it so you can
do make package, and it uses CPack and Qt Installer Framework to
create an installer application which can be used to download both
attica and attica-devel packages for OSX. I bet we could put together
a "meta" package for at least KF5 and maybe more which would consist
of a CMakeLists.txt and a bunch of git clones beneath it could be used
to create one OSX or Windows installer that could then be used to
download applications and all their dependencies. I wasn't sure how to
add dependency information to the result of CPack's QIFW generator,
but it should be doable.

The result of all of that would be one tool for OS X and a similar one
for Windows that work exactly like the Qt online installers. Qt's
online installers are meant for developers though, not end users, so
we may need to improve QIF itself to make the resulting installer more
user friendly, we'll see. I meant to blog about all of this a week or
so ago, but haven't gotten around to it. What do you think of the idea
in general though?

thanks,
Jeremy