QStandardPaths Patch

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Tue Oct 13 06:53:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Well, not sure if it is my patch that you saw, (I attached it for
> reference), but what we want to achieve is not to modify the install
> location (that is a different topic) but the location of the
> equivalent of the .kde directory; this now maps to some %APPDATA%-like
> location directly, meaning that it will collide if a certain framework
> is used in two different installations:
> Say you install kile and you install kdevelop on the other hand,
> settings for the ktexteditor framework are now mapped to the same
> file, even though you might not want that (these are different apps
> after all) and might also be dangerous due to version conflicts (in
> contrary to Linux distributions, you have no way to make sure that
> both installations are updated).
>
> If there are similar problems for the non-writeable location, this
> patch of course can be adapted too.
>
> I am not sure if the patch is ok to submit yet, but maybe I should try i
> t.
Ok,

I can see that usecase.

But your patch will lead to having the writable location inside that application
installation dir, or I am wrong? If I misread that I stand corrected. Otherwise it
would make more sense for me to allow some "suffix" to the writable location to be specified
to avoid clashs instead of full paths.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com