KCM's and Plasma-desktop

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Oct 8 06:42:10 UTC 2015

On Monday, October 5, 2015 8:34:48 PM CEST Marco Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Hannah von Reth <vonreth at kde.org> wrote:
> > Depending on whether we the themes configurable on Windows we could use
> > deskopthemes and icons.
> >
> > Baloo could be useful.
> > Emoticons?
> > Maybe Style?
> > Phonon, Knotifications.
> > In some setups Translations might be useful.
> > Maybe some more.
>
> or could have plasma-desktop a build very very limited on windows?
> like everything disabled from cmake except the few kcms?

I think we should not go down this route again. We have been there and saw it
was bad. In the end it means turning the primary windowing system  we target
(X11 and Wayland) optional. We don't have the resources to ensure that such
combinations build, less even work. But at the same time it would increase
development cost for everybody as we run into weird issues with compile
failures, weird runtime bugs due to thinks which should be compiled with X11
not having X11, etc.

I agree with what Aleix wrote: if a framework needs a KCM to be useable it
needs to be in the framework.

Cheers
Martin