KXmlGui Patched for Deployment

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 08:57:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

I was just building some KDE apps (using frameworks) on OSX and
encountered the same problem for which we (me and Patrick von Reth)
created the QStandardPaths patch at Randa in 2014 [1]. The solution
you propose in this mail requires all applications that were
installing the rc file in '${KXMLGUI_INSTALL_DIR}/appname' to be
changed to have the rc in a resource file and call setXMLFile on
start. I'm not sure that all application developers will be aware that
this change is necessary. Couldn't this be solved by the ECM module
that provides KXMLGUI_INSTALL_DIR?

Another similar issue is the problem of setting
'NSHighResolutionCapable' to true in all gui applications. I see kate
solves this by using a custom MacOSXBundleInfo.plist.in file but this
approach is bad since again it requires all application developers to
be aware of these platform specific issues. This should have been
solved in ECM. Having all applications duplicate the same
MacOSXBundleInfo.plist.in is the best way to make sure that some of
the apps will fail to do it making them look blurry on highDPI and
giving KDE applications a bad name this way.

I'm CC'ing kde-frameworks-devel since this is related to the
discussion "Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks", I'm really
glad that discussion was started.

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/emerge/repository/revisions/master/entry/portage/libs/qt5/qtbase/qtbase-20130714.patch