Freshen KDE on Windows with CMake IFW generator!?

Konstantin Podsvirov konstantin at podsvirov.pro
Mon Dec 14 19:58:46 UTC 2015

Hello dear KDE developers!

My name is Konstantin Podsvirov.

I know that the KDE community like Qt and CMake (correct me if I'm wrong).

CPack IFW generator recently appeared in CMake (since version 3.1):

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/CPackIFW.html

(I won't be modest and confess that I am the author)

Of course, you know all about Qt Installer Framework:

http://doc.qt.io/qtinstallerframework/index.html

I understand that this is still a young setup set but it already works well for the Qt project.

I like Linux, but also a lot of time I spend on the Windows.

I also love open projects. And I know I'm good, a big project is based on a modular principle. In C++ there is no concept of module (I heard about 17-m standard, but now not about it), but in CMake we have goals and packages (which can be exported and imported).

>From my personal observation on the Windows lacks many good open source solutions. But I wish they were there.

I started interesting project "Dad's Project", a website which I called
"Dad's House":

http://dad.podsvirov.pro

DaD - that Develop and Deploy (almost like Drag and Drop).

I have managed to collect several dozen modules. Of course, now not all
well from the point of view of partitioning packages - they have a very large. One pack for each module. But I know I need to divide further.

If you go to the website and try the installers, you'll see that the technology is workable.

A long time ago in 2013, the year I learned about "KDE on Windows" initiative and tried the installer KDE 4.10.2 - it was great! But more than 2 years I don't see the updates. Now KF5 confidently sweeping the planet and it can be a locomotive for the development of related technologies!

I want to refresh the KDE Windows, as well as to contribute to the development of CMake (CPack IFW generator) Qt Installer Framework and many other open and very useful projects.

I'm still young from the point of view of maintenance packages, and I haven't grown a big long beard, but I do have a crush, enthusiasm and are already working technology.

I urge all those interested to join the discussion on the appropriate mailing lists.

I will be glad to acquaintance with accompanying frequently used modules (basic libraries) and other popular solutions and projects.

I threw the bait and wait for the fish :-)

(Sorry for possible mistakes in text)
--
Regards,
Konstantin Podsvirov