Removal help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:43:39 UTC 2015

On 12/08/2015 15:45, doug wrote:

> On 08/12/2015 03:36 AM, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.08.2015 um 11:58 schrieb Anne Wilson:
>>> Hi.  I have KDE installed on an older laptop which has just been
>>> upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  The KDE apps are no longer
>>> used on that laptop (they are 2 years old), so I wanted to remove
>>> them, but all my efforts have failed.
>>>
>>> They are not installed within the Windows Programs system, and I
>>> thought I remembered that they had to be uninstalled using the KDE
>>> Installer-GUI.  I did that, and got messages that they were
>>> uninstalling, but coming back to the laptop afterwards I found that
>>> the command window with a message from kdewin4init (misremembered
>>> name?) still opens, and all the programs are back in the
>>> appropriate folders.
>>>
>>> Since another family member will be using that laptop I need to
>>> clean it up, so what should I do to properly remove them?
>> Try to open the windows task manager, navigate to the processes tab,
>> and close all KDE processes, that is kded4.exe, kdeinit4.exe... and
>> dbus-daemon.exe .
>>
>> Then go to the installation directory and remove the complete
>> installation directory.
>>
>> To cleanup also the user settings, open the explorer, and go to
>> %APPDATA% and remove the .kde directory.
>>
>> If removing a file fails, check that you really killed all processes
>> in question.
>>
>>> Anne
>> regards,
>> Patrick
>>
> Why not teach the other family member to use the KDE apps? They are very
> useful, and for the most part
> are not duplicated in Windows.  I have added KDE apps to each of my
> Windows machines, even tho I seldom
> use Windows.

My daughter works with Windows all day, and is reluctant to learn a new
way of doing things in the evenings.  My husband, like me, is retired.
He runs Mageia (KDE naturally) but doesn't do anything exotic, and
probably hardly knows the difference between Mageia and Windows, apart
from the splash screen :-)

Anne