Kate / KDevelop Sprint

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 22:39:35 UTC 2014

> On 2014-11-22, at 07:50, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:
> I really can't emphasise enough how good an idea this is. As someone
> who spends a lot of time on Windows and Mac machines I know how poor
> the alternative text editors are and how much I miss Kate when I can't
> install it. We could win many Win/Mac developers as users if we had an
> easy to deploy package on both platforms, and it would be a good
> 'gateway drug' to them making use of KF5 in their own code. Having a
> small targeted goal like deploying Kate would be also give the Win and
> Mac teams clear achievable goals to work towards in getting KF5 ready
> with active feedback from the Kate community.

I agree on both points. Both Mac and Windows lack a simple installer, and in reality sometimes all I want on OS X is Kate (a proper KDevelop would be nice too).

I use Kate on OS X almost daily building out of MacPorts. Most issues seem to be related to OS integration and retina (high DPI) support. Isn't this a thing with KDE on other platforms as a whole? This would not only fix Mac, but it would also fix how KDE functions on a high DPI screen (on other platforms besides OS X).

Andrew