Per-app MSI-based installers

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 2 18:44:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, John Layt wrote:

> On 2 July 2014 15:21, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Note also that oxygen-icons by itself is 35MB, which is larger than the
>> package with all the libraries (at least so far; I'm still growing it).
>
> Do we need to ship all of Oxygen though? Can we also split it up?
> Only ship in the base install those common actions used in Frameworks,
> and package the rest either as an add-on package or package them in
> with the app that needs them?  Can we remove some sizes that won' get
> used on Windows?  Split packages by size perhaps?

It would, perhaps, be more useful to have a way to figure out which icons
are actually used by a given application in an automated way and delete
the rest. That's more tailor-made than splitting them in tiers.

> Other areas you'll need to think about are localization, spelling
> dictionaries, etc.  Do we package all the translations with the app,
> or download separately?

Right now, my goal for Windows is a second installer package that installs
all translations right into my application's installation directory.

> Do we somehow let users pick their
> dictionaries to install, or just download them all?

I didn't think of this... Mostly because for me, it's not relevant, and
I'm very focussed these days.

> KHotNewStuff may
> be useful here.

Isn't that mostly dead these days?

> And that sort of touches on another topic: System
> Settings.  Do we install that, or just ensure all settings needed are
> accessible via the Help menu?

The latter. No second applications that duplicate platform applications.

Another interesting thing: the default Qt themes for Windows and OSX are
all broken if you need a dark color theme, so only Plastique and Oxygen
work. The Oxygen theme is much nicer than the Plastique theme, and I would
like to ship it, but it's not an independent thing.

Boud