How to rebuild all KF5+Kate, and how to do this incrementally?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Dec 1 10:20:20 UTC 2014

On Sunday 30 November 2014 14:12:21 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some weeks ago, doing an emerge the first time, I was able to compile
> frameworks and kate by typing:
>
> $ emerge frameworks
> $ emerge kate
>
> But at this point, I have no idea how to keep the sources up-to-date.
> emerge --update frameworks does not work. It does something, but defintiely
> not want I want.
>
> So, more specifically:
> 1. Entirely new build:
> How to wipe all of the build-dirs and the installed stuff of frameworks +
> kate? Under linux I have a kf5/src, kf5/usr, and kf5/build. There, I just
> `rm -rf usr build`. How can I don the equivalent on Windows?

You also have a build + install directory when using emerge.

build: %KDEROOT%\build
install: %KDEROOT%\

You can `del /S` them as you wish.

> 2. Incremental build:
> Say frameworks + Kate is installed. How do I update *all* of frameworks +
> kate? emerge --update frameworks does not at all what I want.
> Under Linux, I do $ ./kdesrc-build frameworks, and I get what I want.

There used to be an option called --update-all, I presume it no longer works.

Patrick(s)? :)

> This should be more explicit in the wiki documentation.
> Every time I try to invest time into building Kate on Windows, I finally am
> stuck after some hours. This is frustrating on the one side, and a complete
> waste of time :-(

Yep. In general emerge (and its setup) needs to get easier for first time
users.

> Please enlighten me someone...

Hope I could, at least a bit...

> Thanks,