The future of KDE Development on Windows

Ian Mac idm.yahoo at cronkshaw.com
Thu Apr 3 09:28:02 UTC 2014

Hi all, some thoughts on KDE and windows from a random user.  Most
people have Windows OS of various flavours installed on their machines.
They have access to the internet. A lot of them search for a tool to
undertake a task, manager their money or photos for example. They
discover that such tools exist an for free but are Linux based, they
then read about a version which will work on windows, it uses something
called KDE. They don't care what or how KDE works or is, all they care
about is can I run the tool I require on my machine and does it work
reliably. In the perfect world it would do both. This could then be a
Trojan horse to get then to adopt Linux.
Unfortunately the tool they choose does neither. This is a real shame
given the amazing amount of effort which individuals have put into the
project, but its still a fact, the tool & KDE do not work reliably on
windows. The more geeky ones persevere and sometimes get the tool to
work, given enough time and skill and luck. The evidence for this, are
the occasional cries for help on this list, which mostly get ignored,
because they are too generic to be helped.
  So what is needed, KDE is purely a means to an end it is not the end,
particularly for Windows users.
  Most windows users want something which just installs the tool they
need and then it runs reliably.
They do not care that it is efficient code, as long as it appears to run
fast.
They do not care about frameworks etc.
They would not know about Plasma - in fact before I started reading this
thread I had not heard of it.
If the installation process makes use of stuff they already have - so what.
99% of windows users get the OS with the box they buy and its the
version that comes with it, if its a new box then it will have windows 8
if its really old it will have 95 on it, they don't care as long as it
does what they want it to.

All the above probably applies to most MAC users as well.

Allow tools such as Digikam KMyMoney to easily be installed, and to run
reliably on windows OS.
Provide the tool code producers with the means of easily building exe
and msi install files.
If the user wishes to build their own later version with say a beta
release of the tool, have it so they can again easily do this.
This gives you the basic requirements for KDE as far as windows is
concerned.
You need to understand which tools are being used, and by how many, and
target the most popular ones first.
Watch the sales of computers Windows 8 is here, and selling well now. XP
is a thing of the past.  64 bit processor are almost standard. Should we
run on androids? Linux is still not mainstream.

Given this the KDE platform can be designed to flexibly move forwards.
  Plasma is not going to be something most windows users require, again
its part of the trojan horse kit, but the horse has to work first, then
the average user may move on to use the other bits. Oh look this
presentation is far better than windows.