KDE Development on Windows

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 10:23:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Monday 07 April 2014 Apr 14:08:38 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2014-04-02, 18:19:09, Chris wrote:
> >
> > > way dll's are loaded. App directory first, shared folders last. Why do
> > > even need ksycoca4 I'll never know. Are you really trying to emulate
> > > windows registry? one of the worst inventions like ahh ever.
> >
> > The system config cache is not a config storage system.
> >
> > It  improves startup speed by creating a mmap-able cache of system
> > configuration items. Not really needed on Windows where it is unlikely
> that
> > there are system configuration files.
>
> Well, you need it to load plugins with KServiceTypeTrader -- without a
> sycoca cache, that won't work as far as I know. If there's a way to make
> KServiceTypeTrader bypass sycoca and scan the desktop files directly, that
> would be awesome, of course.
>
> Running kbuildsycoca4 as part of the installation procedure is a problem
> for a lot of reasons:
>
> * it generates files, and if anything happens to those files the install
> is broken. Which means I cannot let the system generate the files in a
> place the user can delete, which means that the files need to be removed
> when uninstalling, which is tricky, since they weren't there when installing
>
> * it makes a portable version of the kde application that uses plugins is
> impossible
>
> * it needs to run in a cmd window, so users complain that the krita
> installer pops up a window -- they think that means the application is
> broken.
>

> --
> Boudewijn Rempt
> http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org, http://www.boudewijnrempt.nl

I wouldn't center the discussion around kbuildsycoca. There's alternatives
(e.g. QPluginLoader) that maybe need to be recommended for portability?

Instead, it could be interesting if somebody could give a try applications
ported to frameworks and see how we could go about these.
FWIW, there's people who are already pushing KF5 on Windows and,
interestingly enough, they seem very detached to the KDE Windows community.

Aleix