The future of KDE Development on Windows

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 09:03:10 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, 2014-04-08, 10:55:30, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2014-04-08, 10:30:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >> The KDE installer distribution is kind of like cygwin and is so
> >> complicated
> >> that it will never reach a large audience. People want to download Krita,
> >> not KDE. And besides, because it contains all the stuff for all the kde
> >> applications, it's big and complicated.
> >
> > That is just an UI thing.
> > A Muon discover like interface that only lists applications would
> > basically be like an app store. Most people know how to work with those
> > nowadays.
> Which still won't work. People didn't install Intel AppUP, people won't
> install a KDE app store on windows to get an application. Users show an
> amazing amount of resistance to being asked to do A so they can get B,
> they want B directly.

Sure. Just commenting on the "complicated" part.
Can't hurt to have both.
App store for the generation that grew up with app stores and single
installers for the people who don't understand them.

> >> * make sure that no daemons run (because people with sensitive
> >> firewalls will complain)
> >
> > I am no expert on Windows but I am pretty sure only IP based sockets are
> > firewall territory.
> >
> > Never seen a firewall complain about named pipes.
>
> I'm not a windows expert either, I just report that I got reports...

Interesting.
I've never seen this is trainings, on a wide range of corporate Windows
installations.
TCP sockets will trigger the firewall, QLocalSockets never did.
I had assumed that this was because named pipes are not networking as far as
Windows is concerned.

Just curious: which QLocalSocket/-Server using process did you get reports
for?

> Oh, and what I forgot: just having an extra process that may or may not be
> terminated after the application ends results in hours of user support
> work... Best not to risk it and keep things as simple as possible,
> especially if none of the daemons offer anything useful to the user.

Runnning a daemon that does not offer anything useful to the user is wrong on
any platform.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S.: no need to CC me, I am subscribed to kde-windows
KDE user support, developer mentoring