The future of KDE Development on Windows

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 08:42:40 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, 2014-04-08, 10:30:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> The KDE installer distribution is kind of like cygwin and is so complicated
> that it will never reach a large audience. People want to download Krita,
> not KDE. And besides, because it contains all the stuff for all the kde
> applications, it's big and complicated.

That is just an UI thing.
A Muon discover like interface that only lists applications would basically be
like an app store. Most people know how to work with those nowadays.

> * make sure that no daemons run (because people with sensitive
> firewalls will complain)

I am no expert on Windows but I am pretty sure only IP based sockets are
firewall territory.

Never seen a firewall complain about named pipes.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring